Building and other Consrtuction worker Act 1996 and Rules
Sec 2 The Building and other Construction Workers‘ (Regulation of Employment
and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996
THE BUILDING AND OTHER CONSTRUCTION WORKERS’
(REGULATION OF EMPLOYMENT AND CONDITIONS OF
SERVICE) ACT, 19961
(27 OF 1996)
[19th August, 1996]
An Act to regulate the employment and conditions of service of building and other construction workers
and to provide for their safety, health and welfare measures and for other matters connected therewith or
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Forty-seventh year of the Republic of India as follows:
1. Short title, extent, commencement and application:-(1) This Act may be called the Building and
Other Construction Workers‘ (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 1st day of March, 1996.
(4) It applies to every establishment which employs, or had employed on any day of the preceding twelve
months, ten or more building workers in any building or other construction work.
Explanation: For the purposes of this sub-section, the building workers employed in different relays in a
day either by the employer or the contractor shall be taken into account in computing the number of building
workers employed in the establishment.
2. Definitions:-(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
(a) ―appropriate Government‖ means:
(i) in relation to an establishment (which employs building workers either directly or
through a contractor) in respect of which the appropriate Government under the
Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 (14 of 1947), is the C